I have to go back and read everything, because it's very late.

DD5 is going into K next Wednesday. It's going to be a weird year, I think. I know it perhaps doesn't

She's just mostly done with her first chapter book (Dinosaurs before Dark). She's been reading independently for a year now.

She just asked me to get her "books about math" from the library, so I picked up a few Time Life "I Love Math" books that are really stories with lots of math concepts covered. And she understands them. She's asked to do math at home over the summer. Not a lot of problems, but some, just for fun.

But she's worried K will be hard. She has selective mutism too, so even though she's had different tests (not IQ tests per se) to show she is 2-3 years ahead of her age.

They do Saxon Math at school. Not a great program for gifted kids I hear due to the spiraling curriculum.

She also didn't get the teacher we both wanted. I know nothing about her, but new the other half-day kindy teacher well since dd1 had her 2 years ago. We both cried (of course I didn't let dd5 see me cry about it). The only good thing to come from it is that she's not in the same class as a friend of hers who is a little snotty and bossy.

She *could* be grade skipped, if it weren't for the selective mutism she has. I have to see how that goes this year first, before I push to move her up if she's getting bored. Unlike dd7, she definitely complains loudly when she finds something boring.

I am prepared to keep afterschooling her sister and her, hopefully to make up for any deficits in the curriculum. I've been doing this for 2 years now though because they've been asking me to do things at home to learn more.

Sorry about the confusion, I didn't realize that the convention is to write dd+age, not dd+birth order.

Last edited by Sciencemama; 08/17/09 09:54 PM. Reason: because the dd in question is 5, not 2