So much depends on the teacher. I would make some efforts to bring to the schools attention exactly what level of math and reading your boy is doing before school starts.

Much depends on personality of the child, but I don't see the need for any particular experience unless it mets that child's needs. Social needs, Academic needs, all are important, but sometimes one is lucky enough to a solution that benifits all the needs. sometimes that isn't going to happen.

If your older boy was isolated in K, then you are worried for a reason. If most kids learned best by themselves, we probably wouldn't even have schools, kids would just be left alone with a bunch of books or online classes until they were ready for job training, yes?

One thing for sure, these things aren't easy.
BTW - there is never any guarentee that an IQ test will fully show what a child is capable of learning, but by age 5 the test work well a great majority of the time. Davidson YSP allows kids to enter based on test done at age 5, so that tells me they are pretty confident of these tests worth for 5 year olds.

I like the idea of jotting down a few notes that show concretely what DS is doing, and requesting, in writing, (not an email) that the principle start placement testing now. Include one of those writing samples.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com