Good points from everyone else. I am also wondering if your school does a K screening. Our DS4 is supposed to start K in the fall and has a screening coming up in May. Part of their screening by law has to entail testing for giftedness. Although funny thing about living in NY, they don't have to do anything about it...they just have to inform the parents if the child is suspected to be gifted and inform the superintendent within 15 days of testing. Quite sad that is where it would end for us. But maybe where you are at they would do something with that info.

For us we had testing just completed only because of our previous suspicions of just how advanced he was. Our testing supported that he was PG and everyone who knows him(especially the psych who tested him and us) doesn't think K would ever work for him. So we are planning to meet with the school officials in a couple weeks to come up with some ideas since they have already reviewed his evaluation. Like a previous poster mentioned, most parents think their child is bright...so just telling schools that your child is makes them smile and nod, and do nothing else. So it's best if they can see it for themselves (or see testing if you feel that is needed). I am not a fan of early testing for everyone, but feel like we needed it and have no regrets.

I would definitely contact the school principal and talk about what they would do with a child if they noticed early signs of things, and how they would support your child's needs, etc. There are bunch of questions I would ask to make sure that he doesn't get bored and shut down or act out. Also I would talk with them about a teacher that would be a good fit as well. Good luck!