Actually, we're starting it as soon as it gets here - just to confuse things further. They have online placement tests (which take forever, b/c they start one level below chrono age). He placed above level for language arts and math (so I guess I'm not doing that bad a job HSing...) and I signed him up for grade level for music, history and art. What I like about history and art is that they are linked together - so when they do American history, they do American art, too. Science is his strength, and I thought I'd accelerate him quite a bit in science - but he wants to start at 3rd grade, because he liked it so much. I heard there's a lot of writing in science, so figured why not. I'm told that I can just call and swap them out for something else whenever I want to. Also, you can cancel in 30 days with no termination fee (but there is some sort of sign-up fee which I don't think is refundable). So, at the end of third grade, I'm starting six courses from the beginning. But I'll just skip through the things he knows, and I expect we'll go very quickly through science, history and art.

I found this page, which was very helpful: http://online.k12.com/misc/helpfiles/courseintros/Course_Introductions.htm

If I had the time, I'd be able to do a better job of independent HSing, but I'm working and having a bear of a time keeping to any sort of schedule. I also found that I was personally happiest with programs like Aleks where I could see the progress. My problem is that I made the first year HSer mistake - bought all sorts of absolutely wonderful stuff, but can't get to it all. So I'm letting K12 take care of the basics for me, and then will use my other stuff to supplement.

And when I panic, I remind myself of what Kriston has said - he's beyond the local third grade curriculum, so we're in good shape - except with writing (as opposed to dictating), which has improved, but hasn't yet caught up.