Testing can help you gauge progress. Even if your state doesn't require it, it's not a bad idea to do your first year (at least) so that you know how *you're* doing. (Not really so much about your child's performance!)

If it helps, DS7 is 2 subtests away from finishing the Iowa Test of Basic Skills at (not above) his age level--I'm administering it and it cost me $40. Assuming that I'm not missing any questions myself (LOL!), he's missed no more than one question in any subtest. Granted, an age-level test is really easy for him, but still, if it's coverage we're talking, then I think this shows that its coverage we're getting! This despite the fact that he read Alice in Wonderland and CyberEd earth science rather than anything age-appropriate and we had no set math to do this year beyond what we felt like doing. Yet he seems to have mastered 2nd grade quite well without ever really doing any second grade work this year. laugh

I promise you, I am just about the most laidback homeschooler you'd ever want to meet! I am practically allergic to curricula of all sorts! If MY child is doing fine on coverage, it's *really* not that hard!

One of the reasons the LA in these books is vague is because it's very open to adaptation. There's no one thing that kids ought to read, no list of books they can't miss, you know? Not really. I can assure you that Dickens is not on the normal 2nd grade reading list, but so what? My son was interested in the story, it was at an appropriate reading level for him, and he got a lot out of it. So that's what we read for a big chunk of the year. <shrug> Follow their interests!

I'm telling you, coverage is overrated. Your jobs as a homeschooler are to 1) teach your child how to learn, 2) teach your child where to find materials to answer questions (dictionary, Google, source material, etc.), and 3) teach your child to love learning.

That's it. Everything else is really just opinions about what an educated person in 21st C. America needs to know. The secret you're not supposed to figure out: There is no right answer. I can assure you that what **I** think one should know is very different from what his 1st grade teacher thought. I like my way better, and apparently so does the ITBS! wink But your way isn't wrong. Hirsch is handy, but his way is just another opinion, really. A more educated opinion, sure, but just an opinion. So is the curriculum that your public school is using.

Especially with a GT child, coverage just really happens on its own if you try to keep them learning something all the time.

Make sure your child has a well-rounded education that covers all the basics. If you do that and the 3 things I listed above as your job, you're doing absolutely great!

I promise! smile

Kriston