My son was able to sound out words by 2 1/2 but really didn't enjoy doing so, so i just let him be and didn't push it at all. Like I wrote in a previous post I was writeing words on a chalk board just after he turned 3 and he was reading them, which surprised me because I had put his reading knowledge kind of out of my mind. Now at 38 monthes he is very interested in reading, if it's in the right way. For instance, we play a matching game where he matches a picture with the matching word. He enjoys reading that way and does very well, and playing this game helped me see that he knows many words just by sight. (I think many times he sounds out words, even though he knows them, because thats how I've taught him to read) he also enjoys flash cards with words, I don't like the idea of drilling him so i leave them out on the table and he often goes over to the word cards and reads some. Anyway to my question, He's interested in reading, but not in reading books. If i try to get him to read the words he just looks at the pictures and blurts out something random to do with the picture. How can I get him interested in reading the words in books. I think he doesn't like the idea of reading the story slowly maybe? So he'd rather I read. Let me know if you have any suggestions.