Wel, Mite came home from camp yesterday. I broached the subject of acceleration this morning with him. He is still strongly wanting 6th grade.

I don't think the schools will let us do that AND I am not keen on him going off to junior high for various reasons. First, we live in a primarily majority community where racism is pretty prevalent in the middle and senior high. My DS14 had issues in middle school and we now shudder as we send him of to high school where it is rampant. My children, if I haven't mentioned it before, are minorities. I call them "specks of brown in the sea of white" in their classrooms and schools. So, I really worry for Mite's safety at the junior high, which is where he'd do 6th grade.

Also, there are some pretty nasty kids in the neighborhood in 6th grade and that's who he'd be with. So, if we consider that kind of leap it will only be in another district and that just isn't feasible yet.

Homeschool is not an option for us right now, at least not for the full-time.

I really think we are going to ask for a single level skip in everything but mathematics. In mathematics we will homeschool using Saxon 5/4 diveintomath program. He can go just as fast as he wants in math that way.

We are looking into private school options, but most in are area are wait-listed. So, we'll see.

sigh. why do people think raising a gifted kid is such a breeze? I can't imagine being jealous of what we all have to go through for our kids.

Willa Gayle