Originally Posted by elh0706
DS was in this school for 2 years on the advice of the testing psychiatirst since it was supposed to have a great individualized education program. DH and I learned individualized doesn't mean suited to the child. It means whatever the school wants to do if you don't go through the IEP process.

And of course, even if you do go through the IEP process...sometimes the plan is followed and sometimes it is ignored...

I don't want to be so pessimistic, because sometimes things work well for all involved - let's just they that there exists a great variety of situations and of people who are in those situations. The personality of the child and the involved adults makes a great deal of difference.

Elh0706, I am so sorry that this happened to your son. Good for you for recognising and reacting appropriatly to the situation. My son also has the ability to "get under a teacher's skin." At the end of second grade, when I saw my son's teacher by chance, a good person who I really liked and feel meant well in spite of the really terrible situation she created for my son, as I listened to her speak with such bitterness about my son, I hear the voice in my head say: "She'll feel better once the divorce is finalized." My inner head whipped around to hear what my inner voice had said, and I realized that the teacher sounded like nothing so much as a woman caught up in the bitterness of the final stage of a bad divorce.

I truly had expected that some day my son would grow up and break a few hearts, and inspire vehament frustration in a few young ladies - I just didn't expect it to happen in 2nd grade.

Luckily the very same school gave him his best teacher ever in 3rd grade, and with no suggestions from me at all, she steadily undid much of the damage.

((shrug)) and more ((shrug))
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com