Jeni,

If your son's scores qualify him for DYS then that means he's probably testing at least 3 grades ahead in achievment (likely much more, right?). That would be like asking an average 5th grader to accept being in a 2nd grade math or reading class. I don't understand how a school can ignore that or think that's ok, though I know that they do. You couldn't satisfy a 5th grader in a 2nd grade class by giving a few extra projects. I mean, come on!

I've recommended a book to others privately but I'll post it here too because it has been so helpful to me. I highly recommend that you take a look at it. It's called Academic Advocacy for Gifted Children by Barbara Gilman. Bobbie is with the Gifted Development Center out of Denver, CO. You can order the book through their website at www.gifteddevelopment.com. It's really a great resource and contains more than just advocacy information.

I wish you the best. I know you are so frustrated for your son right now. The people who participate in this forum have so much experience, heart, and wisdom. You will feel very welcome here and will hopefully find a good solution for your DS.