Hi Jenafur,

Here's a link to a checklist that will help you document your son's estimated level of giftedness. http://www.educationaloptions.com/levels_giftedness.htm
Skim down about halfway and find the list of developmental milestones. I believe that these are as good as the IQ tests for establishing a "floor" to your child's gifted level.

Here's an example. My son did not teach himself to read, although he did know his numbers early and was reading simple chapter books at age 6, and did lots of puzzles on the computer, but fewer actual ones, questioned everything including the toothfairy, Santa, Easter Bunny, and liked the longer Dr. Suess books, such as "The Lorax" at age 3. He also loved listening to the Oz books and Phantom Toolbooth. As best I can remember, he seems to fit the Ruf level III, and that's where his overall scores at age 7 fit. Is he even more gifted than that? He might be. His ability to focus and track with his eyes seems to be a bit slow to mature, and that may account for him not teaching himself to read, although he knew the letters and felt that he "should" be able to read. Last summer I took him to a "Develomental Optomitrist" to learn more, and according to them he was reading at a 12 grade level even with definite eye movement and focusing problems. In my mind these tests establish a floor, so that I can look for educational options that meet the needs of a Level III kid, or higher.

Even the standard IQ tests done by a professional aren't foolproof. If a child is doing school work 2 or 3 years above what his agemates can do, she is gifted no matter what the test results are. The trick is getting your child into situations where they have the opportunity to work to their readiness level.

Sorry I'm being so long winded, but read through all the posts regarding baby and toddlers and preschoolers, using the search function, or browsing. There are a lot of puzzled mom's of toddlers out there.

Head Start is a national program that intends to get kids ready for school. See if you can spend some time observing a classroom. If your son already know what they are spending a lot of time teaching - please don't send him there. I mean, at this age, would you leave him in a room full of crying 6 month olds? I wouldn't do that for more than 15 minutes 3 times a week. Observe with your own eyes and ask yourself how these children will look to your child.

I think that it's good that they will come to you and help document what he is doing. Yes he could be highly gifted. No you don't have to wait for him to be 5 or or 7 to know for sure -you won't ever know for sure! The checklist won't trick you into thinking he's More gifted than he really is. But highly gifted kids can learn to mask their gifts, even from professional tester, when they percieve that adults don't expect or want their gifts (read CKF's crash and burn story) so that's why I want you to print out the list, put it on the refrigerator, and when hits a milestone, jot down his age. Next year you can look back and start thinking about early kindy or homeschooling all together.

Smiles,
trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com