I think you're right; the attitude that comes from recognizing the causes and conditions that make one's life possible is one of gratitude and a desire to make one's own life meaningful, a sense of responsibility (not guilt) to keep the gifts of life moving. To receive and to give.

There is perhaps a parallel in Christianity. I think for some Christians, at least, the attitude of communion is gratitude. If Christ died for me, for my sins, then I feel awe and a debt of gratitude for that sacrifice and I want to do all I can to repay that love by loving others. This is generalizable to awe at creation itself and a recognition that we are responsible for taking care, as best we can, of what God has given us.

Buddhism and Christianity are not the same, but I think they both have much to teach us about being grateful.

Regardless of what religion DS is or follows or does not follow, I still think that mindfulness and gratitude are attributes I hope to be able to help instill in him. He has been very fortunate--I would like him to feel grateful, but not guilty.

Last edited by acs; 09/11/08 11:36 AM.