I call that "leadership role", the "Tom Sawyer Syndrome". Rite (15), STILL does this both at school and in the neighborhood. Just last night he here at home he was supposed to do his chores, plus cut some b/s chicken thighs into bite size pieces for me to cook for supper when I got home.

When I arrived home, he had 4 neighborhood kids (ages 17, 14, 13 and 12) and Mite doing the chores and chicken cutting while he was on the phone arranging for other kids in the neighborhood to come down for a soccer game when they all got done.

don't you wish you had that talent??

I do recommend to intervene on this early on, though. Rite has gotten into trouble with teachers and with neighbors because of this tendency. Plus, while I think he has honed the skill to an art, I worry he doesn't take on the role of plebe to well and I think that is going to hurt him when he gets in more competitive environments.

I often call to Rite and his friends (who are aware of his manipulating but adore him and do it so what ever plans he has can come to fruition for them all), "No Tom Sawyering you guys! Rite's gotta do this one himself"!

Willa Gayle