At least one of the Chinese language schools in our area offered SAT prep classes for a nominal fee ($10-$20 a semester) to students enrolled in their Chinese classes, which were open to all races and in fact did enrolled a number of non-Chinese students each year. Many parents volunteered their time or accepted a nominal fee for teaching although they did have to hire some non-parents to cover all the Chinese classes but it helped to keep fees relatively low.

This brings me to to another tangent that occupied my thoughts this past year. Parents really make a huge difference and that is one reason why poor inner city schools cannot offer the same education as weathy suburban schools with well-educated involved parents. My kids are enrolled in a majority white suburban high school within a fairly diverse metropolitan district, which is ranked high nationally (gold medal) and statewide (top ten). However, beyond all the AP college readiness crap, it is the parent volunteers that contribute so much to elevating the students' education. For example, we have STEM professionals, including a Ph.D. mathematician, volunteer to teach math to the Math Club every other week. Then when the district refused to fund ARML, our school paid the team fee so still managed to send a team because parents also volunteered to drive the students hours which reduced costs to just room and board. Our music program is very strong partly because a bunch of parents contribute money and/or time for the extras. The list goes on. If there is a way to simulate these extras plus parental involvement for the students in poor inner city schools, that would contribute to leveling the playing field; of course, the lackluster core academics during the school day remain the larger obstacle.