He does have his own iPad although he uses it for horrible free car driving games. I've been wanting to switch to a more educational 'mode' anyways. From what I can tell, he can keep up with the handwriting right now, although I don't know how much it expands in second grade. Getting him a typing program to practice with can't hurt anything at all though!

His teacher is meeting with me on Thursday (yay) and hopefully she'll have some suggestions/input about what to do with him over the summer. Any questions that you suggest I ask her? This meeting is not to request an evaluation or anything official but more for getting advice for how to help him over the summer and maybe what to expect next school year.

I was already thinking that I would ask her about what his strengths and weaknesses are in class, whether he seems frustrated, if he's writing more slowly than the other kids (he's mentioned things to me about this), how his word decoding seems, and whether I should attempt to help him with writing/spelling at home vs hiring a tutor.