I don't have a lot to add, as many PPs have covered my usual points. =)

But I will say that I had a very similar experience with my #2 in prekindergarten (the one year that we used a b&m school), with a very experienced and perceptive teacher, who noted that, though math was well ahead, pre-reading skills were suspect. Fast forward a couple of years, and it became apparent that there were clear dysgraphic (and mild dyslexic) features present. AAR was not out at the time, but we had very good results with AAS (all seven levels). Now at the secondary level, we use speech-to-text, wordprocessing, or oral elaboration for any response longer than a single sentence. #2 can write a thank you note, sign a document, or complete a form, which are all that I think one actually needs in adult life, as far as handwriting goes. (With much agony, and very little mechanical accuracy, we can also produce a paragraph--but it's just not worth it, given the available assistive technology.) We did just enough cursive work (we used the Zaner-Bloser system) so that #2 could read other people's handwriting, and then let it go.

I think I dropped handwriting work qua handwriting at about age 9 or 10. I would suggest that starting early on typing will have excellent long-term benefits, as many dysgraphics are slow to attain fluency in typing, for similar automaticity reasons. Start now, and it will be second nature by the time he hits middle school (or even earlier). www.typing.com is a good and free resource.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...