I think that learning about Ohm's Law, logic gates etc was interesting at High School but fundementally Logic and Problem Solving skills which are basically innate have been what has kept food on my table for the past 30+ years in software engineering.

Knowledge of combinatorics and complexity are important without a shred of doubt and while intuitive they do provide useful insights that make the difference between a program/system which eventually produces the right outputs and a great system. This will be increasingly important given the absurdly large data sets available these days.

But, while professional pundits can bleat all they want but the sad truth is that the folks who don't get 'classical maths' are in all likelihood going to not get Discrete maths either. Sure Maths education in the US is sub par but without tracking by ability adding fuel to the confusion fire like this will not fix anything. Reminds me of how many ways DD had to show how to do long multiplication/division in the futility of its naive earnestness.

Last edited by madeinuk; 12/20/17 05:07 AM.

Become what you are