I would recommend multivariable calculus if that is the most rigorous option available. Is it? It is quite confusing because different districts have different curriculum even when it is the same name. I find our Algebra 2 a joke but our students then catch up with one year of Pre-Calculus and two years of Calculus ( AB for one year followed by BC for one year) so that multivariable is already covered in Calculus BC. Our accelerated students who complete BC before senior year would take Differential Equations or Linear Algebra at either the CC or a local uni unless they want to take it easy with AP Stats. It is my understanding that AP Stats is rather light-weight so may be a good option for seniors who would be submitting college apps and transcripts already. The rule of thumb is to go for the most rigorous so your child can get the best education and be the most competitive for scholarships. If your child also is looking at elite universities, keep in mind that she will be compared to students beyond her locale who may have different graduation requirements. For example, DS (9th) who is currently taking Calculus AB would have to take either Differential Equations or Linear Algebra even if he opted to take AP Stats because he has to take four years of math during high school in order to graduate. Our curriculum also covers a ton of stats by the time students complete Pre-Calculus so that may also contribute to AP Stats not being particularly useful.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 10/12/17 05:23 PM.