I would absolutely agree with mana that parenting is so much more than cognition and academics. I don't believe I have the same situation in terms of LOG, but my parents certainly did (not with me; with my sib), and they both have terminal degrees as well. My sib was a preteen when they handed over household accounts and taxes for the business -- because that was the most qualified person to do them (better than the CPA who had been doing their taxes!).

This did not in any way prevent them from parenting effectively, absolve them of responsibility, or eliminate the need for parenting. No, my sib has never, so far as I can tell, been challenged academically, even in grad school or beyond (and that's with extremely radical acceleration), but life contains many more challenges and lessons to learn than academics. My parents were honest, engaged, curious, respectful, and most of all, loving with us, articulating and modeling life principles, and demonstrating that we (and others) were valuable for our humanity, rather than our abilities. "To whom much is given, much is required " was drilled into us; we have not earned our native abilities, and thus have no basis for viewing ourselves as intrinsically superior to anyone else. Rather, gifts are a trust to be administered for the greater good.

Will there be parenting challenges for you? Of course there will. Parenting is uniquely challenging for every parent-child combination. But you've been entrusted with this child, and because you so clearly care about his development and happiness, you will be able to learn how to parent him as all of you grow together through the child-rearing process.

Last edited by aeh; 07/21/17 04:42 AM. Reason: More

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...