puffin, while I agree this may be possible... it may not be probable. Weighing factual descriptions given by the student against the newly reported 'feeling' of 'disadvantage', I would not place emphasis on the emotion as compared with other details of posts:

- Small school, redshirted student.

- 7th grade (approx age 13?)- A/B student - NWEA scores unknown - not recommended/referred for advanced 8th grade Language Arts.

- 8th grade (approx age 14?) - drop in grades - student is bored - NWEA scores qualify for advanced 9th grade Language Arts - not recommended/referred for advanced 9th grade Language Arts. The combination of high test scores and low grades may indicate underachievement.

- 9th grade (approx age 15?) - Student desires placement in advanced 9th grade Language Arts, and reports that school says:
1) class is filled.
2) drop in grades justifies lack of recommendation/referral.
3) credit would not be granted as trimester has begun; term is in session.
-- Student appears to be addressing this situation after-the-fact as registration for class in not currently open.
-- The student did not respond as to how far into the term his/her school was, whether there is a waitlist or add-drop policy, whether there is a parent or other in-person adult to assist with research/advocacy, number of other students who qualified for and were interested in advanced 9th grade Language Arts but were not placed in that class.
-- While student states english is a favorite class, posts indicate poor use of grammar/diction beyond that which I typically observe as being attributable to typing on a phone.
-- Student describes school responses as 'complete bull' and 'excuses', and more recently reports 'feeling' at a disadvantage for a recommendation, based on not being active in sports/school/community and holding 'a different religion and positions than the majority of the community'.

In my observation and experience, it takes effort to earn good grades, to be active in community, to advocate. There are many articles written on essential attributes beyond high test scores which contribute to success. Age may be playing a role in student discontent.

I would emphasize areas for the student to apply effort, rather than creating conjecture of bias.

The student may benefit from understanding the overall context into which his/her complaint fits: There are many under-served students, and parents advocate for years in attempt to get needs met. Positive advocacy may yield the desired results.