My first round of testing was when my son was 6. I did not get an adequate interpretation, so I am nodding when I read aeh's comments above. There actually was something very significant in the testing, but the evaluator didn't mention anything except "the most extreme discrepancy I've ever seen". I didn't know what that meant and didn't know it was reason to pursue. First round of testing didn't open any doors. I felt it was wasted.

It hurt his chances at getting academic match in school. The school did a child study, and decided they could offer subject acceleration in math, but a full grade level below where their testing placed him.

However, later he was diagnosed with ADHD -- which was pretty obvious from the first testing, had the evaluator bothered to interpret the results.

Two years later, a second round of testing was fruitful. It demonstrated the therapeutic effect of his ADHD treatment, and opened doors.

Because my son falls into the 2e group, his testing was extremely beneficial. The first test shows the degree of impairment while the second test shows his intelligence after his ADHD is treated.

However, this hurt his chance of academic match in the public school setting because he was WAY beyond what they are able to accelerate/differentiate in the elementary school. Homeschool fixes that problem. smile