I sometimes think auditory processing is one of the most frustrating diagnoses, as it is hard to directly remediate it. Mostly, you try to find ways to accommodate, while shoring up with some long, painstaking listening-skills building. Not the kind of answer any parent wants to hear.

As with any learning challenge, be cautious whenever anyone offers a quick fix. As far as I can tell, there just aren't any, for *anything* LD-ish. It's also good to be cautious when people are working outside their area of speciality. Even among audiologists, only a very small portion have expertise in auditory processing issues, rather than physical hearing issues.

While SLPs do work with kids with APD, making a diagnosis in the first place is not straightforward. In our case, for instance, the audiologist ran her standard battery of APD testing, which took about three hours. Each test was designed to tease out specific skills in being able to distinguish and isolate sounds under different circumstances. For example, being able to hear a farther voice when a closer one is also talking (e.g. teacher and classmate speaking simultaneously), or a voice that's been bounced off a wall (teacher facing away while writing on a board). Other specific tests were also aimed to isolate auditory processing skills from other issues with overlapping symptoms, especially inattentive AHDH and dyslexia (both of which my daughter has).

With respect to to your specific question, here are some clinical guidelines that may be of help. Discussion of a broad array of interventions starts on page 27; Tomatis comes up on page 33, in a section that concludes: "Ethical, safety and efficacy issues have been raised in the USA with regard to AIT and similar auditory therapy methodologies, leading to position statements which do not endorse these methods for the APD population." Wish I had better news frown However, there are types of listening therapies that do help, depending on what the specific issue is, and those may also be part of your program, such as listening to separate texts in each ear, and practicing staying focused on one while the other slowly gets louder (Note, you can do at home with a tablet; the ability to send separate audiobooks to each ear is built into iPads and some others).

http://www.thebsa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Current-APD-Management-2.pdf