Hi Polarbear - as far as I can recall, the Beery subtests were:

Visual Motor Integration - ~30th percentile
Visual Perception ~90th percentile
Motor Coordination ~30th percentile

Psych said that 25-75 is in the normal range, which is why they don't see a fine motor issue. But it looks like a lot of scatter to me.

For his motor skills, he just does almost everything very slowly (putting on velcro shoes, getting out of the car, putting on his jacket) - he doesn't walk slowly (sometimes runs), but kind of all over the place - ie not in a straight line. He has learned to swim, but it's not very efficient. I can see his swim teachers struggle when trying to teach him different strokes. His ball skills have improved, but he gets frustrated easily when the ball doesn't go where he wants.

He can do buttons, sometimes has a hard time with zippers. I haven't tried teaching him to tie shoes yet. He still hates to use cutlery at the table, but will do if I insist.

Also, the psychologist said that he kept dropping his pencil during testing and had a hard time picking it up - this is very familiar to me! To me it sounds like poor motor planning/coordination - she didn't say he deliberately dropped it, or was throwing it around the room.

ADHD was based on Connor questionnaire scores from myself and DH and DS's teachers, as well as observations by the psychologist and some other test she didn't name which involved moving beads around on a peg-board (but she told me had minimal motor skill involvement).

I agree that some of his behaviours are not DCD-related - he zones out when I talk to him, forgets things, loses things. I'm sure he has EF issues. So, not totally against the idea of ADHD, although DH has concerns about stigma.

Last edited by Can2K; 08/26/16 11:20 AM.