I'm going to post this publicly, because I think there is a perception that homeschooling is unattainable without deep pockets, a huge support network, or an unusual job. Nothing could be further from the truth! Yes, the logistical challenges magnify if you are a single parent, have tight finances, a limited network, or other extenuating circumstances. But it can be done!

I'm homeschooling DS4.5 solo while working full-time. The equation will be different for older children, necessarily, but I'm happy to elaborate beyond what I've posted below if you'd like.

My current situation allows me to tele-work at least half-time, and I carve out opportunities during my lunch or evening time with DS to cover school topics. Weekends are mostly saved for exploring, fun, friends, and sports. On the days where I work off-site, DS is with a caregiver who does effectively the same thing listed below.

For instance, take a typical tele-work work day schedule:

5:30-8:00am - I work while DS sleeps.

8:00-9:00am - Breakfast with DS. We read or discuss some topic of interest (usually science or math these days, but it can be philosophy, theology, geography, etc.)

9:00-9:30am - Personal care/clean up.

9:30am-12:00pm - DS with caregiver playing sports, doing construction, visiting museums, exploring. I work.

12:00-1:30pm - DS and I have lunch. DS reads to me aloud while I prepare lunch. Then we either play a game, have a conversation, read, or just enjoy lunch.

1:30-2:00pm - I read aloud to DS.

2:00-4:00pm - DS naps. I work.

4:00pm - 9:00pm - My work day is done (or I pick up extra work in the evening after DS sleeps). We do whatever we want. Often, we'll spend an hour or two outside playing sports, then come in and cook dinner together. This could be a window where children have after-school activities or play dates.

This schedule is about to evolve for us in September, when DS will begin attending school in the morning to build out his social network. The goal of school for us is purely to meet DS' social and leadership needs. He practically glows around other kids he enjoys and is craving more peer relationships, so branching out is necessary for us at this stage, but a more introverted child might not need that option. Other than our morning being bumped back half an hour and his spending 3 hours off-site, our schedule will largely be business as usual.

You'll be surprised how little time is required to cover curriculum for basic skills. If your child is self-directed, you can generally provide them with the core skills needed and watch their imaginations lead them to some pretty amazing work. Seeing a child learning for the love of learning is a thing of beauty!

Some parents on this board have talked about their children devouring curriculum in gargantuan bites. I've seen it. It's a real thing. Last week, DS decided he wanted a certain junky toy I wouldn't usually purchase, and he successfully negotiated earning it by completing half a year of math curriculum. The half year was completed in less than two days with mastery and all questions finished. He did the same thing with a reading curriculum a few months back, where he did a year of material in a day because he wanted to go out to his favourite restaurant for dinner as a reward. When these kids are motivated...STAND BAAACK!

In some education circles, the comment I'm about to make would go over like a lead balloon but, hey, we're among friends here. I would go so far as to say that a standard year of curriculum in elementary school can be learned by some gifted children in a weekend, or less. Then the remainder of your time is a question of providing safe supervision and supporting flights of fancy. The former becomes easier as children get older.

What is to give light must endure burning.