Originally Posted by ajinlove
Since we are talking about RIT/MAP test a bit here, I have a question regarding the test.

DS9 in third grade scored 224 on his spring math MAP test. He is in challenged math class which is about half year accelerated in math. A girl in his homeroom class who is in the advanced math class (one full year acceleration) scored 250 something. Does the exposure to the material have an effect on the score if the same test is given?

I am wondering about this because I have been advocating for my DYS DS7 to get into third grade challenged math class (instead of differentiation in class) when he's in 2nd grade. However, the school will not consider this option until he takes the MAP test and CogAT in the fall. I currently use Beast Academy as supplement for him on the weekends and will move in a faster pace during the summer. I am wondering if this will help with his MAP test score in the fall.

TIA

IMO, yes. Exposure matters. I will also say, however, that our school ignores NWEA's score guidelines and keeps giving the test, regardless of the score, based on grade level. It would seem that the 2-5 test indeed has some sort of ceiling as mentioned by longcut here, and that the other student's precise score is questionable - she needs to be transitioned to the 6+ test to more accurately show growth (or growth will stall due to the ceiling effects). Stalled growth can be very frustrating for the student and concerning for the parent. Your DS, though, should still have some headroom in this version of the test.

Also, FWIW, in class differentiation has rarely worked for us. After 2 years of attempting in class differentiation, during which DS said he was learning nothing, right now it looks like DYS DS7 will be SSA in math next year. In his case, I honestly think that it has taken 2 years for the school to realize what level of math he is at...they kept trying to "enrich him," not fully grasping that he wasn't slightly ahead, but years ahead. To be fair to the school, I don't think they see it very often. Keep advocating!