Originally Posted by knute974
Melisa, does your middle school have some kind of math placement test? To make allowances for differences in school populations and grading, around here everyone is required to take a middle school math placement test. If not, it may be worthwhile asking how they make placement decisions and tailoring your response to their established system.

The NWEA 6+ Survey with Goals was the "math placement" test that the district math coach recommended after I repeatedly asked for someone to administer a math placement test this whole semester. Honestly, I don't think it is an issue that comes up often here since all of the schools are considered "failing" by state and federal standards. There are actually only 3 more years on a 5 year timeline that the district has to get their act together before the state takes over the schools, which is frightening. With that in mind, you would think that they would be bending over backward to keep a kid like mine in the district - he is not as advanced as many kids in this forum, but in comparison to the kids here he is light-years ahead. I am unsure whether the school board knows what it is like to have to jump through all of these hoops and be so pushy to try to get DS what he needs. I am thinking of letting them know, but I want to make sure we get a placement for him for next year that will work for him before I make too many waves smile