Bumping this topic as it answered most, but not all, of my questions. DS recently scored at 254 on MAP in 5th (2-5 test) and will be taking the Iowa algebraic assessment. I'm curious what one might suggest if he does actually score enough for pre-algebra, or even algebra, and the school resists further acceleration.

Would you advise against skipping math 6 and taking pre-algebra? I've seen posts suggesting double acceleration is better if there's a year in between -- is less than a year enough transition?

He has commented that this year of grade 5 math was easy, he far preferred the extension math pull-out, and he actually wants to learn geometry. Is there anything you can recommend for geometry extension that's pre- high school Geometry?

I'd love to see him develop his problem solving skills, and I am half tempted to suggest homeschooling math and doing AoPS pre-algebra, though the budget is tight. I wish there were a math 6/7 course. As it is, I've heard some of the middle school math teachers are great, while others have led to kids going home and learning through YouTube because they don't get it.

Also, I recall sometime in the past year a rather interesting discussion about math acceleration that went into ways to extend math rather than go quickly through it, if you want to make sure there's a solid foundation for problem solving as well as not lead to burnout. Could someone help me find that? The archives are thick with my search terms.