I wrote an email to DS's teacher this morning and told her about DS not been accepted and possible suggestions of appealing the decision. His teacher is supportive of appealing, much to my surprise, as I did not think she would be supportive of anything that is not in line with the school district's decision. Instead of giving me specific suggestions, she agreed that DS is a fast learner with different learning style that would benefit tremendously from the pull out GT program. She also agreed that DS's vision issue has most likely impacted his class room performance and grades in the first semester, which was used as one of the qualifying criteria. As after the vision therapy, DS's reading comprehension has taken off. although I am still not convinced it is directly as result of vision therapy. She asked me to keep her updated on the progress.

I am trying to make up my mind whether to appeal with his WISC IV score, with Vision doctor's report. or wait until he is retested with V, hoping for a better result. The school district is very inflexible that I've never heard anyone appeal the GT decision. The process is so in-transparent that I don't even know where to start. The program is very competitive that only 1/3 of applicants can get in based on the relative ranking of multiple achievement scores.

I think it will probably be extremely difficult.. but I feel obligated to try the impossible for my son, just for a chance that he is in a better learning environment.

Any suggestions what to do if I am met with a cold shoulder if I write an email to the district, where should I go next?