Certainly, asynchrony is a consideration, if the phonemic awareness skills are on target for age. But that can actually be a reason for direct instruction in phonemic awareness, especially as it applies to reading, so that children don't develop bad habits for decoding, which may come back later to bite them. A child with exceptional memory may easily learn thousands of words by sight, which provides access to quite a bit of text. Unfortunately, that will not help them when they are ultimately confronted with low-incidence or specialized vocabulary, for which they have no oral vocabulary context, and are then forced to decode using phonetic or morphological skills.

In your DD's case, she should have almost all of the phonemic awareness skills by this age. I would suggest trying to teach her some of them explicitly, to see if she truly doesn't have the underlying skill, or if she is unclear on the task. For instance, does she understand and transfer the skill, if you follow her attempt by modeling, "/b/-/r/-/i/-/j/" as the phonemes? Only once she is able to do that does it make sense to instruct her in the various graphemes (spellings) for each phoneme. I believe I referenced All About Reading above. Its sister product, the stand-alone OG spelling curriculum, All About Spelling, addresses phonemic awareness skills from the encoding side. (Actually, Logic of English does, too, but, as an integrated language arts curriculum, interweaves it with reading.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...