My son's enrichment group (a thirty minute period in school where most kids got interventions but those not needing interventions got enrichment) consisted of a few advanced students and a few identified as gifted. I would assume that my son was the only PG child in the small group of 5th graders. Near the end of the school year they found a novel set for the group to read. (I looked it up on Accelerated Reader and they say 10th grade level and lexile says 1030). The group worked through the first few chapters and every kid said they wanted a different book other than my son who was enjoying the heck out of it. So once again, my son finished the book independently at home and the group got a book closer to what the others could handle.

Kids will tell you when they are over their heads either verbally if they are comfortable with it or by their behavior. Just like they will say when stuff is too easy and boring and they want more of a challenge. But there was no harm in his group trying. They were exposed to it. They may try it later and like it. They know a bit about more than the first three chapters because my son enthusiastically would talk about the book.

I tried to read the Narnia series to my son when he was 7 during our night time read aloud. He had the ability to read the series at 7 so my plan was to read one or two aloud and then suggest he finish the series on his own. But he didn't even want to listen to it at 7. No problem I returned the two I had checked out to the library. The next year his teacher suggested it, he was ready for it content-wise a year later, and he tore through the series on his own.