Thanks, GeorgeC. The adult explanation is very helpful (and interesting). Getting DS to start a new book is the hardest part, which makes me think he's having a similar experience of building the set in his head.

I asked DS last night, before seeing your post, if it was the same for fiction and non-fiction and he wasn't sure. He did say that it sometimes takes a long time for his voice to get tired. I suggested we run an experiment tracking types of books by how long until his voice tires and he was receptive but told me 'I'm not dyslexic' (he has a buddy who is & understands his dysgraphia is part of a family that includes dyslexia and dyscalculia). Interesting reaction. I'm going to chart stage of book, as well, to test the initial construction idea - assuming he'll really participate in the experiment!

bluemagic, I am usually an absolutist about reading the book before seeing the movie, but GeorgeC's post has me thinking you're right about flipping the order. He has stalled at HP 5, after zipping through the first 4, with an initial slow start, and I was using the movie as a carrot (I'm really a slow learner about intrinsic motivation!).

I like the audiobook idea. We're going to get the next Hitchhiker book on audio and he doesn't tend to get carsick so I'll give him the book while it plays. Reading the first chapters is also a good one. I used to do that to draw him in, but stopped as his reading progressed. Interesting to think it might have been serving an entirely different purpose from catching his interest. I'll go back to it.

I'll admit to being a bit horrified when he got into Amulet ('how can it be a real book if it has pictures?', I asked my snobby self), so I haven't exactly encouraged them. But if graphic novels help, then graphic novels he shall have. The flexible thinking practice will be good for me!