Originally Posted by eco21268
I read some previous posts to remember what your DD's school experiences have been so far. I couldn't tell for certain how much of an issue the disorganization issues have been (for the teachers) so far. Our experience was that elementary level teachers were naturally more accommodating and supportive in the EF area than MS--probably just easier, less moving around, fewer total students to monitor.

Word to the wise: I'd go into the meeting asking what has worked for other students with ADHD who have trouble organizing/remembering. And expect the staff will want to know what *you* are doing at home to help. DS' 504 mentions things that "parent will do."

I have very little natural organizational ability myself--this hasn't helped me help DS work out systems. I'd suggest some sort of checklist system for the backpack, to happen the night before. I suggest it, but haven't managed it myself... smile

I don't think it's unreasonable for the school to expect parents to be doing some of this at home. If DS' big issue was remembering to pack the backpack, it's understandable they'd want this addressed at home. The problem we faced is it could all be *in* the backpack, but it would never, ever, ever be removed and turned in.

You will also need to know what daily assignments and long term assignments are, well in advance. I couldn't tell if this was a problem area for your DD, but knowing these things will help you help her with the backpack.

Good luck!

edit: one more suggestion--something in the 504 that says DD can use her own organizational system. You'd think this is a no-brainer, but some teachers are very attached to their systems. My DS is simply incapable of managing multiple folders and binders (not to mention a locker). We keep it all in one Trapper Keeper. Others have had the exact opposite issue (can't manage one big binder, need color coded folders). That's why I'd suggest something about devising your own system, that works for your DD.

Right my low tone kid had the mandatory 3" white binder of doom in middle school. I finally told them it might work for 1100 other middle schoolers but it wasn't working for student number 1100 and 1. That thing made ME cry.

You can also say emailing assignments is a skill a child needs for college. Many college assignments have to be turned in electronically by midnight of the deadline.

Another compromise is for the child to email the assignment and at the same time put a hard copy in backpack and try to manage to get it the hard copy turned in. If it is turned in the teacher can grade the hard copy. If the teacher grades the class and says whoops Johnny or Jill's paper isn't here, let me check my email...there it is! So the email becomes a backup.

Extended time has many uses...sometimes it is used because the actual work is taking longer, sometime it is a clerical/organizational issue that needs more time, and sometimes my son needed an extra day to just freak out about the assignment. As he has matured there has been less needs more work time, less clerical/EF issues and way less freaking out.

Last year he contacted his English teacher via email and said "I am not turning in my assignment today and using my 504 extended time accommodation for this assignment because I am having a rough time with it." This was a major accomplishment for him and his teacher had no idea he had been struggling. They chatted about it, he finished it up, and turned it in.

Last edited by Cookie; 08/19/15 05:31 AM.