Thanks everyone. It just feels good to vent a little. Here is an update.

We are appealing the decision anyway. My son's NNAT2 scores were messed up because Pearson, the company who computed his score used the wrong answer key. District TAG program apologized and they are still reviewing his application. My DYS counselor said there was nothing she could do to lobby for DS in this situation.

So while it's not an outright rejection, I have some red flags because gee, this kid has a history of scores in the 90s on the NWEA reading and math (86 was his lowest score) and no one on the committee noticed a huge discrepancy between achievement tests and NNAT2? His NNAT2 score was in the 1st percentile before we got them to admit they used the wrong answer key. Not one person on the committee thought "hmmm 99th in reading and science, 86th in math, and bottom of the barrel in NNAT2. Something is not computing here." That is alarming to me.

We are applying to other districts' TAG programs too, and my son just got into a private school with many gifted students but it is $18k a year and we didn't qualify for financial aid. We are happy about his admission but we are freaking out because it will mean so much change to everyone in the family if he goes there. But for once, it is nice to have options, even if they are some we cannot afford.