We've ended up with an interesting opportunity out of the blue that's still developing, but I'd like to think this through before I need to really decide.

We undid a homeschool grade skip for our DD for a variety of reasons, placing her back into her age grade although she works roughly 2-3 years ahead across the board.

The details need to be hashed out, but she has been unofficially invited to particapate in the music program in a neighboring district. This district is highly competitive in developing musicians in their band and orchestra and often compete at the state level for their marching band. This is for an instrument she's been playing for only a month or two. This is her second instrument, and we never considered her gifted in music, just able and interested.

She has a few friends at the school because she participates in a club sport. I'm not sure if she would need to be enrolled, but I don't think we'd be interested in it full time, anyhow.

The quandary is that I think she would then officially be grade skipped again making her less competitive on certain tests, competitions, etc. How does it work if a homeschooler takes a B&M school class?

We don't know how gifted she is- when she saw a pysc a few years ago, she ceilinged a couple of subtests, but was also uncooperative and we ran out of time.

I don't want to put her at a disadvantage by having her participate if we get the green light. She loves math, and I don't want to put her in a situation where she'd miss a cut off on a qualifying score to get into camp or something because of her official on-paper grade. She's already on the young end for her age-grade.

Any experience?