Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
DD being too young for that sort of pressure etc and that she intended to convince me to stay with group lessons.

Glad to hear that you have a perfect chance to start fresh. I don't think there was much point in spending your time and energy trying to work with someone who feels that way. Besides, maybe SHE puts pressure on her students. There is no reasons for private lessons to be stressful as opposed to joyful.

From what I understand, many private piano teachers do not accept students younger than 6, 7, and sometimes 8. I can respect that each teacher has his or her own reasons for setting a minimum age but when you have a child who is ready, it feels like discrimination. I hope you have some leads of piano teachers who enjoy working with younger students.

When DD was having the time of her life during her piano audition, I knew we had found the right teacher. It could be the beginning of a relationship that spans over a decade so I'd make sure the new teacher is the right person for your family.