ebeth - the psych that administered the WISCIV to DS said that he missed the easy questions but he perked up when the questions got harder and got those right. I think this is a result of him being unchallenged in school for 3yrs. Unfortunately, for 6months of those 3 years I was on bedrest and then had a newborn and didn't come out of the fog for about 6months so that equates to about a year that he wasn't challenged much at home either. He had books and tons of science books etc but I wasn't actively doing science experiments and such with him. Fortunately though that was his best year in school (1st grade - teacher did lots of projects and actually played the Everyday Math games so even though he wasn't challenged in math, he enjoyed playing the games).

Oddly enough, in March of that 1st grade year, Teacher told me the class had met the standards for that year so she was already winding down .... that's when DS started not wanting to go to school. I don't think most people can understand that. They think DS is just whining about school or ask "if he's gifted, why can't he find creative ways to entertain himself? Gifted kids don't get bored." "Gifted kids teach themselves and don't need to be taught." So I'm left wondering "what is really wrong with this kid?"

I gave him the questionnaire in "Reforming Gifted Education" he scored "school as a place to learn" very low. 8-(