At our son's elementary school, they let us use a homeschool math (K12) curriculum through an accredited online charter school. I would prepare his assignments the night before and send them with him. He worked on his math when other kids did their math. He did 5th grade through pre-algebra while in 4th and 5th grade (and not working very hard at it). When he moved to the middle school for 6th he took algebra with the honors 8th graders. He had a high school certified math teacher and I could really see the enthusiasm for math take off with an enthusiastic and knowledgeable teacher.

The elem teachers were very glad to not have to teach him more advanced math and were quite open to this solution. I know many of you are not this lucky. What I really liked about using the accredited program through the online charter school was that there was no arguing at all when we got to middle school. I simply showed them his transcript for pre-algebra and they put him into the correct class. There was not talk of "holes."

I know that there are many barriers that would make such a plan impossible for most of you. In fact, there is such a waiting list at our state's online charter, I'm not sure if they would take a dual-enrolled student anymore. But it was a perfect solution for us, so I wanted to mention it just in case someone else can pull it off.