Originally Posted by Dude
I would ask really stupid-sounding questions in order to "better understand" the requirement to test two grades ahead for a one-year skip:

As for the trust issue... that's why the school wants to do its own testing. They don't trust your independent results. That's common, because there is documentary evidence that private testing has often yielded a significantly higher proportion of subjects testing as gifted, leading to concerns of score inflation. The trust issue will be exacerbated in this case if your child requires accommodations, because now they're wondering how much of the results are based on the child, and how much is based on assistance (intentional or otherwise) outside of reasonable accommodations.

The upside is that if she knocks the ITBS out of the park, that eliminates a barrier between you and the school.

?

I would stand on my head and ask lots of stupid questions if I could figure out why they do things. Interesting about why schools don't trust outside testing. Our school does have its own testing to look at - the Cogat and the Iowa. If they want to prove the two years ahead business, that's the problem I suppose. The Iowa was a 4th grade test. I don't know what the Cogat was. Well, that's another question I have for the school! I had no idea until today that the ITBS was for the next grade level. The district seems to keep that information private!