The final written report from LB should help!

"Although I understand the importance of bringing up the challenges my daughter faces, so far that is met with 'gee, that sounds frustrating, but our tests show she's not eligible for services.' "

The rules set out for minimum bars to fall under etc in terms of numbers are supposed to be interpreted as *suggestions* - not hard and fast rules that prevent kids from receiving services. I totally understand where the district is probably coming from re this in terms of good intentions, and I've also seen how a school district can use this as a way of running over a parent by making them think they can't advocate past a specific set of policy guidelines to get services. The way the system is supposed to work is that the decision is a *team* decision - and if you've got a sped teacher who agrees that your dd should be receiving help, you've got a great start toward your goal of receiving services through the district.

I don't know how you'd' go about convincing them that LB is the only way to go re remediation though - my guess is that if the remediation came through a LB center, they are going to see a report advocating more work as potentially biased. Did a psych who evaluated your dd originally recommend the LB? If it was written in a psych report it would be useful in advocating. LB worked well for my dd who has a reading challenge too - but she didn't go through a LB-only center, she worked with a reading tutor center that had several different approaches and picked programs based on individual student needs. I can potentially see the district arguing that any program might work if a child is attending 4 hours/day 5 days/week for a full month (just playing devil's advocate here… that's how I always approached my advocacy - thinking through every danged argument the school could throw at us!).

Anyway, I'd still consider looking into the vision - or at least ask the LB tutor if your dd's eyes still appear to jump around when focusing on reading. Or can you see it? If you can see it, I'd run screaming to a DO! But that's just me smile It doesn't mean she's not dyslexic, just means that there might be potentially something that would help in addition to her LB/etc work. Our school district has actually paid for DO work for one of the kids I knew back in elementary - but she also had a grandmother who was a special ed teacher and really knew how to navigate around the school district's brick walls.

polarbear