Forgive some of my basic questions, but here goes. I was just told my son (5) has mixed dominance, and a light went on for me. We started to be concerned a little over a year ago and had him evaluated by a PT, and an OT. We knew he hadn"t chosen a hand yet, but we were moist concerned about some of the frustration he was experiencing with letter recall. It has taken almost a year, but an OT finally told me she thinks he is a classic case of Mixed Dominance.

It makes all the sense to me. I've been scrolling the internet, and I 'm reading a lot of things that match my son. He has never been very cordinated. He is big for his size, so we assumed his nervous system just couldn't keep up. Another alarm went off when at age 5, he still couldn"t write his name. He kept switching hands and didn't develop much finger strength.

After a school year with weekly OT, we seemed to have settled on writing with our right, but we still use our left alot.

I guess my question is how can I learn more. This little guy is so gifted when it comes to spacial relationships. He can do advanced puzzles, play checkers, and several other spacial strategy games. Recall of letters is hard. How can I help him? I want to learn more, but don't know where to start.

Thanks!