hmm, guess I'm on the other side of this - for us, OT made a big difference, there was an obvious change in DS's behaviour if he didn't go to his weekly session. Our OT let me sit in on every session and answered every question I had happily, and was able to answer all the "why are you doing this" type of questions. We went from shutdown & meltdown every week to "hey, when last did that happen?" And, no, I don't think it was maturity-related...

We did the listening program, and to me DS definitely talked more after doing it (before doing TLP he fit enough symptoms of Expressive Language Disorder that we were going to have him assessed), seems to hear more of what is said around him (vs losing it in background noise, and his pitch is way better (musically). His tolerance for the noises that used to really challenge him also improved.

Yes, this is anecdotal, but just wanted to state that there are people for whom this type of therapy works. I guess a lot of it would depend on your therapist and how good they are, how well they can apply what they learnt vs simply using their bag of tricks as dictated in the textbook for reasons unknown to them (because, yes, we saw one of THOSE OTs too, and that WAS a disaster). I guess it also depends on what's really going on - maybe it worked for use because sensory issues were as deep as it went, rather than just one layer of the onion.

Glad your DH agreed to the neuropsych!

“...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
-Terry Pratchett