This is the criteria they used to qualify my DS in a "physically impaired" spec. ed category. I think he qualified just under the "motor skills" portion since his academic achievement test scores were all fine. In class he was one of the last kids to get writing and work done as well as take off his coat, mittens, boots, etc. and get it in his locker, get into the classroom, etc. This is just for my state, though, and I have no idea how things differ in other states. They also required that he have a medical diagnosis, something like "cerebral palsy". They accepted his developmental coordination disorder diagnosis as evidence of a motor/physical disorder. I don't know if any of this is helpful for your specific situation, but wanted to point out that there does NOT have to be below grade level academic achievement in order to qualify for an IEP.

At least ONE of the following must be documented in the evaluation report.

Functional Skills
_____The student’s need for special education instruction and service is supported by a lack of
functional level in organizational or independent work skills as verified by a minimum of two or
more documented, systematic observations in daily routine settings, one of which is completed by
a physical and health disabilities teacher.

Motor Skills
_____The student’s need for special education instruction and service is supported by an inability to
manage or complete motoric portions of classroom tasks within time constraints as verified by a
minimum of two or more documented systematic observations in daily routine settings, one of
which is completed by a physical and health disabilities teacher.

Educational Performance
_____The student’s physical impairment interferes with educational performance as shown by an
achievement deficit of 1.0 standard deviation or more below the mean on an individually
administered, nationally normed standardized evaluation of the student’s academic achievement.