My advice is a bit different than that above.

Would you push for math services?

Yes. Yes, I would.

Honestly, the way that literacy seems to work for most gifted children is rather binary-- something flips the switch at some point between 2 and 10 years of age, and then they are... fluent. I've not seen a lot of anecdote to indicate that external inputs have much to do with that particular arc for gifted children. Oh, sure-- you can give them decoding skills, and teach particular analysis and writing techniques-- but reading fluently and for fun/understanding/learning? That just comes when it's time. (BARRING a learning disability or other challenge, I mean.)

MATH, though...

I'm concerned about the trend that you saw. Bear in mind that what your child is learning now is numeracy-- not "mathematics" per se. The other thing that he's learning, from your description, is that anything less than PERFECT is "not good enough." That is a huge red flag for me.

Gifted children are incredibly prone to perfectionism-- and task avoidance, even-- and this seems like a situation tailor-made to develop it. frown I'd press for at least SOME differentiation based upon potential rather than just on current performance-- maybe pretesting or even out of level testing of some kind to figure out just what WOULD be more appropriate. Leaving him unchallenged isn't necessarily a good strategy long-term, because he learns that school isn't for learning new things, but for demonstrating mastery. At a level which needs to be perfect.

See the problem? You definitely don't want several years' worth of THAT thinking happening by the time he reaches actual mathematics in late elementary.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 09/02/14 10:00 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.