My DS is older (just past 7th birthday), but doesn't have that type of ADHD--his is more the inattentive space cadet version (although at times he can be hyper). I'm not 100 percent sure my DS has ADHD but a trial of meds seems to be helping the focus issues at school. DS is like an absent-minded professor. Your DS sounds more hyper-impulsive type.

DD (age 8) has combined type, so she is both inattentive and hyper/impulsive. Strangely, she seemed actually more in control of herself and a better listener than other kids when she was a toddler. When she was around 4, I noticed she was more wiggly than other kids and wasn't always listening during "circle time". She was constantly touching other kids, or she'd take off and run down the hallway at preschool when they were supposed to be walking. She was super slow with things like getting her coat, boots, mittens on when it was time to go home, usually the last kid to get ready. Everyone else would be ready and lined up, and she'd still be sitting there putting on her snowpants. In kindergarten, she had a problem with written work and was very slow to get things done, but I don't think that's always the case with ADHD (some kids rush through things). I suspect DD may have a LD in terms of writing and it's hard to sort out what is ADHD and what is a LD. Shortly after her 6th birthday she was in first grade, and still really slow with unpacking her backpack, getting into class, getting organized, etc. She would be chatting in the hallway with random kids or teachers rather than doing what she was supposed to do. At times she would do weird, impulsive things like break crayons in half on purpose, or wash her hair in the sink because she decided she was hot or sweaty. In school, she didn't seem particularly hyper, which probably delayed the diagnosis and the teacher saying anything about her. She did seem hyper in gymnastics class, though, and very excitable. She would swing from bars she wasn't supposed to swing from and was just generally off-task. The coach refused to move her up a level, saying DD was too whipped up and it was a safety issue.
After we medicated her we saw a big difference in school. Now it's two years later and she is still very difficult when not medicated. She has slow processing speed, even with meds, so that is an ongoing issue. Her processing speed score was only 93 but her GAI on the WISC was 150+