I feel for you on the reading--

My son has taken many reading tests and literally scored anywhere between the 4th percentile (pre-literacy age 5) to reading skills 4 years above grade level >99th percentile.

I have decided that if my son is "into" a book and reading it regularly without prompting--he gets it. I'm not taking these reading tests very seriously anymore unless they consistently point to an issue.

I don't think your son made a good choice about the hat, but agree that bullying is an ongoing pattern of harassment with bad intentions. I think something else should have been taken besides academic advancement opportunities.

I know that children can tend to "act out" when bored in class, but it may be something else. Mine did not act out-- instead, he spent most of the day looking out the window. His teacher found him extremely inattentive and careless, but still pleasant and willing to follow directions. In our case, it caused her to think that he had comprehension issues, and he also got his advanced work taken because of it.

I have found that most teachers are not trained to identify the 99%+ crowd-- much deviation from the norm is likely to be attributed to behavioral or comprehension problems, not boredom.