Originally Posted by Val
Honestly, I don't see much value in shielding kids from the world, and I have trouble even understanding it.

I think the real question is at what age do you shield children, and to what degree, because every parent does some shielding, even by omission.

I don't see any value in discussing topics like genital mutilation, the death penalty, or the morality of war with my 2.5 year old, for instance. I don't think that by waiting until he shows signs of being able to understand fundamental principles behind Judaism, Islam, and Christianity that I am in any way closing off productive discussion or communicating that discussion on those topics is verboten.

Now, what we do at this age is talk about respecting one another's bodies, mutual charity, the sanctity of life, the duality of humanity, the diversity of religious views around us, and the need for dialogue and peace instead of violence wherever possible. Those are all age-appropriate introductions to the topics that build the groundwork for a deeper, more nuanced conversation when he's older.

What is to give light must endure burning.