Originally Posted by polarbear
Originally Posted by NikiHarp
What about RTI? The assistant principal mentioned this specifically. Will the teachers try specific strategies in the classroom and if that doesn't work we'll discuss 504/IEP?

You need to differentiate when you're talking with the school between skills that can be remediated and abilities that must be accommodated.
polarbear

polarbear, that is a nice concise statement of the difference between accommodations and modifications/interventions. I wish more teachers understood it.

NikiHarp, the AP probably referenced RTI because, if you are in an RTI-requiring state, s/he's had it drilled in that you have to try RTI for at least 8 weeks on everything before beginning the 504/IEP process. But, of course, if one thinks about it logically (and I'm constantly being chaffed at work about this crazy need I have to do so), we would never use the RTI process on a sensory impaired (visual/hearing) student before taking them through the 504/IEP process, because their disabilities are clearly documented, and not open to remediation. So, obviously, the RTI-first mantra is not universally-applicable, and you will have to draw a clear analogy regarding the nature of the disability.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...