Originally Posted by DrummerLiz
They don't understand music, literature, intellectual pursuits, just care what the neighbors think and gossip.

My in-laws and yours must be closely related! Mine think that young boys shoud be allowed to be boys by their mothers and sitting indoors practicing piano and afterschooling etc is damaging to them! Apparently, boys should either be hanging out at the local park or watching videos when not in school (according to their experience and that of their friends and family)! And it is offensive to them that my child sits willingly with me and afterschools - literature, math, art, read alouds, puzzles etc. They even grilled DS on what his school grades were and then looked more puzzled as to why the "crazy mom" afterschools when the grades are very good anyway. They don't understand why I read aloud classics like Peter Pan, Hobbit, Narnia etc when there are DVDs of those movies out there. I can never even begin to explain and never try to either. I remember when DS was 4 and went to his piano class and ILs asked me "why does he need to go to piano class". I did not have an answer then or now smile

The amusing thing for me was when they invited themselves to stay with us on the week of the National Piano Guild Auditions for my son and even though they had the TV blaring in our small house all the time, my DS practiced his pieces every single day without any nagging from me and came home with a "Superlative" performance certificate from the judge. They read all the positive remarks written by the judge and they are still processing all the information - because watching how motivated my DS was has changed their impression of him from a poor kid with a pushy mom to a focused, talented and motivated child who is aided by his parent to reach his goals.
Sometimes, it is alright to not be able to talk to family about your gifted child.