Nice to know, albeit sadly, that we are not alone! Indigo, I looked up the book you recommended and it looks lovely, but does not fit my in-laws. They really have no clue and have spent way more time with my son's cousins than him. My DH talked them into coming up for his first piano recital and it was an interesting 24 hours. My MIL actually asked DS if I "made" him practice piano! She was actually grilling him on what I make him do for math and reading too! They have no idea how exhausted I am sometimes! The kid loves it and in 10 months is playing Bach. My in-laws are not very cultural. They don't understand music, literature, intellectual pursuits, just care what the neighbors think and gossip. They are sort of shocked when we tell them we took him out of school for the day to go to an orchestra concert. frown It's also amusing when they ask what I will be doing once he is in school full time in the fall. Volunteering at school and making sure he is challenged at home is sort of a full time job right now. I'm sure most of you can agree!

The best thing was for them to see the piano recital. Our son was placed with the big kids, due to the complex piece he was playing and after they heard all of the older kids play much simpler pieces than our DS I think they were shocked. I was even surprised at the level of poise and professionalism my DS had on stage before, during and after the recital, complete with a long bow and big smile. (Theater and performing might possibly be in his future!) Yes, I now know what "My heart is bursting with pride," means! My in-laws now have some perspective on his level of talent. Some. I'm sure they will still think we are pushing him and we should just "let him be a kid." They don't get that that's exactly what we're doing. And I am going to have to be okay with that.

This forum has been amazing for me to hear from all of you about your similar children and it definitely makes me feel less lonely on this intense journey! What did people like us do before the internet!!