Originally Posted by KJP
A good resource for advocacy information is wrightslaw.com

Check the training program calendar and try to go to one if you can. It is actually a good value. Aside from getting a day of training from Pete Wright, you get three of his book as a part of the registration fee. I got From Emotions to Advocacy, All about IEPs and his Special Education Law textbook when I went to one last year.

I agree Wright's stuff is very good but I'm not convinced its applicable here. His stuff is mostly focused on special ed/504s/IDEA/ADA etc... We used his books advocating for our gifted DS with an IEP coming out of ECSE.

Most states do not have gifted mandates. Even fewer states allow for gifted IEPs. Without that legal framework, Wright's strategies are less relevant. His advice one building consensus etc is helpful but the dynamics are completely different. The courts have been *very* clear that a " Free and Appropriate Public Education" does not entitle you to an optimal public education. Failure to accelerate or differentiate for gifted kids is not an actionable event.