I have sorority experience and I can say it was not at all what I expected. I know not everyone and every college is the same, but I soon found out I'm definitely NOT the sorority type.

The social things were sort of fun, but a waste of time and came with "rules" of what you could and couldn't do while having this so called fun. The "service oriented" things were mostly subpar like teeter-tottering all day and night to raise money for a charity. The money raised was minimal and it was all more for show than anything else.

I got into trouble for not going to meetings and other gatherings - there was always something and I didn't have the time. I wasn't at college to talk about which frat we were allowed to associate with and which girl (of legal age) was seen carrying a beer around a bar. Not that your DD would have to deal with this, but it was a rule - you could sit at a table with a beer, but you couldn't walk around with a beer in your hand.

I didn't make any real connections other than my "Big Sis" who graduated summa cum laude the year I pledged. She was joining the Peace Corps prior to continuing her education. Most of the girls that seemed great, fun, and intelligent during rush week I found out were really just hoping to date a guy on the football team since our team was top ranked at that time.

I dropped it (or whatever the technical term is) after 1 year and got a HUGE speech about how I could never be a Greek ever again. I was okay with that!

Last edited by 1frugalmom; 04/09/14 09:38 AM. Reason: typos